POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT 12/9/2017
ENGAGEMENT PROGRAMS COORDINATOR
HeartLands Conservancy is seeking a dynamic and creative professional to advance the organization's reach within southern Illinois and the St. Louis metropolitan region. The Engagement Programs Coordinator is a part-time position, at 20 hours per week, focused on coordinating HeartLands Conservancy's Engagement and Education Program, communications, and outreach efforts.
The Coordinator works with members, donors, the community at-large, organizations, governments, community groups, and conservationists in raising awareness of HeartLands' key initiatives, mission, and programs. The Coordinator also works with HeartLands Conservancy's members, sponsors, volunteers, and partners in a variety of engagement opportunities and media. The Coordinator will report to the Director of Development & Events and must be able to work well within various team projects.
We are seeking an individual with experience in environmental communications, outreach, and/or education. Specific skills are desired in website and social media engagement, as well as, the development of print and graphic documents. The selected candidate will possess exceptional writing and graphic skills; the people skills necessary to positively interact with staff, donors, board members, and committee members; and will be capable of using these skills in creatively portraying the work that we undertake in conserving the region's natural resources. The successful candidate will ideally possess a general understanding and appreciation of conservation in southwestern Illinois and a general understanding of regional demographics and stakeholder groups that might participate in our programs.
Engagement & Education Program Coordination (40%)
• Work closely with staff and volunteers to develop and coordinate annual Treks Program. Treks consist of guided hikes, paddles, bicycle rides, and other opportunities to directly engage and educate people in southwestern Illinois' natural resources.
• Work with staff, volunteers, and board of directors to coordinate educational workshops and seminars for landowners, farmers, volunteers, nature enthusiasts, scout groups, master naturalists and master gardeners, etc.
• Work with staff and partner organizations to develop engaging programming and opportunities, such as presentations, festival activities, school projects, and other community events.
• Assist Resilient Communities Program staff with project-specific outreach efforts, such as surveys, public meetings, and web notifications.
• Coordinate a volunteer program for HeartLands Conservancy's programs and outreach events.
Marketing & Communications (40%)
• With guidance and input from the Director of Development & Events, develop an annual marketing plan. Maintain marketing "metrics" and report/present to the CEO and the External Committee as requested.
• Create and develop the organization's Annual Report to donors.
• Work with program and event staff to develop and produce the quarterly newsletter, "Commonfields"; ensure delivery through both electronic and paper formats.
• Develop and execute schedule for email and social media communications. Regularly explore new social media and smart technology opportunities for digital engagement.
• Incorporate regular web site updates.
• Ensure organization-wide and vendor compliance with the organization's Style Guide.
• Build relationships with local media and assist with engagement of HeartLands Conservancy members, sponsors, and donors to effectively spread the message of our mission and programs.
• Lead print production timeline and coordination of documents, as well as bidding process.
Event and Development Assistance (20%)
• Assist Director of Development & Events in marketing, planning, and executing HeartLands Conservancy's signature events, such as Field to Fork and Annual Dinner.
• Assist with grant writing and donor engagement, as time allows.
1. Bachelor's Degree in marketing, applied communications, public policy, environmental education, natural resources, urban planning, arts/creative studies, or related fields.
2. Highly skilled with the Microsoft Office Suite, including: Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Suite or Creative Cloud Package, particularly Adobe Indesign and Illustrator.
3. Proficient with web software, email marketing/registration software (ex: MailChimp) google products, and social media platforms, including facebook, instagram, twitter, and youtube.
4. Ability to plan meetings/events and interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
5. Ability to creatively design educational materials and activities to engage different audiences.
6. Knowledge of, and enthusiastic interest in, the environmental resources of southwestern Illinois.
7. Experience with non-profit organizations, team projects, and fundraising a plus.
Schedule: Part-Time, 20-hours per week. Some flexibility is allowed in the work schedule.
Reports to: Director of Development & Events, and in her absence, the CEO,
Starting Salary: $18.00/hr
Benefits: HeartLands Conservancy offers ten paid holidays, flexible work schedule (with possible telecommuting schedule available), and participation in our organization's SIMPLE IRA after one year of employment. HeartLands Conservancy matches up to 3% of your salary, dollar for dollar to your IRA contribution. Mileage is reimbursed for travel to events and meetings beyond the employee's regular commute. Professional development, continuing education, and trainings are provided annually.
To Apply: Please send letter of interest, resume, and short 3-5 page (or link to online) portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
About HeartLands Conservancy:
HeartLands Conservancy is a growing nonprofit conservation organization serving the St. Louis Metro East, with office in Mascoutah, IL (near Scott AFB). Established in 1989, our mission is to conserve, connect, and restore the diverse natural and cultural resources that sustain the people and communities of southwestern Illinois. We work to achieve our mission through four strategic priorities: Land & Water Conservation, Resilient Communities, Engagement & Education, and Organizational Vitality.
HeartLands Conservancy is a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Our staff works together on a variety of projects and encourages critical feedback and peer review of their work products. We value science and accurate data as the foundation for our decision-making and programs. We also value passion for the environment, integrity and ethics, innovation, collaboration (internally as a team and externally with our partners), a diverse staff, and an inclusive environment.
This job operates most often in a professional office environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, laptops, credit card processors, phones, and photocopier. This job also occasionally operates outdoors in varying weather conditions (including but not limited to heat, cold, rain, and snow), and terrain (including but not limited to steep slopes, rocky, wetlands, and mud).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position requires the ability to regularly lift up to 50 pounds. Long periods of sitting, as well as, hiking, walking, and other physical outdoor activity required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position will remain open until filled. First round of interviews will be held in January 2018.
HeartLands Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HeartLands prohibits discrimination against any employee on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation (real or perceived), or any other characteristic protected by applicable United State federal or Illinois state law.